Seriously I can’t believe my birthday is here. Time is flying! I also can’t believe I’m twenty-four years old. All I kept saying leading up to this day was, “I can’t believe I’m turning twenty-four”. I feel old(er). Obviously birthdays mean you’re getting older but still, each year it gets more surreal.
Twenty-three was a hell of a year. Isn’t it crazy how when we are young we have these ideas in our head about how our futures would be? Like right now, I should be married with a lit career, driving my two kids to school in a G-Wagon. Or at least that’s what middle school me thought I’d be doing by now. Wishful thinking I guess. I’m not anywhere near accomplishing any of those things yet and that’s okay.
“Young” adulthood is such a weird place to be. It’s like being on this thin line of feeling like you need to have it all figured out but also, you still kinda don’t know what the hell you’re doing. There’s still so much to learn, so many milestones I haven’t hit yet and some that I feel like I have already.
But when it’s all said and done, I’m just thankful to be here. I feel amazingly blessed to know that God has continued to carry me all this way. That’s really all I can ask for.
So, on that note, in honor of my birthday, I’m sharing with you guys today twenty-four pieces of advice I wish I could give to my younger self.
1. Life goes on. The older you get, the better you’ll understand this statement.
2. Not finishing college within the 4-year time frame IS OKAY! Please don’t let anyone tell you otherwise.
3. Brown liquor is better than clear.
4. Your mental health is everything. Please take care of yourself.
5. If people don’t realize your worth, let them go!
6. When the going gets tough, you get tougher.
7. Not every day will be a good day but as long as there is breath in your lungs, you have a chance to make it right.
8. There’s a reason why God made you the way you are. You’re literally one of a kind. Embrace it.
9. “Live girl, have some fun girl, you’ll be fine” – Drake
10. Learn to appreciate the little things. Those are what matter the most.
11. STOP worrying. It causes nothing but stress and in the end, it all works out anyway.
12. Take your vitamins… consistently.
13. Learn how to love yourself. Once you’ve got that, everything else will fall in line.
14. God will never take anything away from you without replacing it with something even better. Trust him.
15. Oil your scalp.
16. Put money in your savings and keep it there!
17. Happiness is fleeting, and what I mean by that is, it’s temporary. You will not always be happy 24/7. Learn how to embrace your other emotions and accept them.
18. This journey you’re on is designed specifically for you. You can’t follow anyone else’s timeline but your own. Enjoy the ride.
19. Get closer to God and never stray away.
20. Find a decent balance in your life to set yourself up for success.
21. When you start a workout regimen, please stay on track. It’s so hard to get back into it when you fall off.
22. You’re so so so beautiful!
23. Learn to close your mouth sometimes and open your ears… LOL
24. Despite what you might think, never forget how blessed you are.
Please share in the comments down below some advice you wish you could give to your younger self as well. I’ve got a fun-filled weekend ahead so expect a recap within the next couple of days.